REAL Women Are BANNED???

Meet Ruby.
She’s BANNED.
This brilliant campaign by The Body Shop was developed as part of a three part series to help promote self esteem and empower women.
“Ruby is an element of a three-part campaign with self-esteem motifs from Body Shop International. After the focus in September on body image, Ms. Galanti said, October will be devoted to ”self-esteem and activism,” in the form of a promotion to sell whistles that symbolize what a coming print ad calls ”the urgent need to stop violence against women.” And in November, Ms. Galanti said, the focus will be ”self-esteem and aging — wrinkles.”
When Mattel got word of this campagin the sent a cease and desist letter to The Body Shop, putting the brakes on this groundbreaking advertisement.
Ruby was banned in 1998!
I don’t know what’s more disturbing: Ruby being banned or that a big deal is being made of it only NOW!
Has it really taken 13 years for us women to get infuriated about this enough to make it go viral? Have we endured 13 years of “you should look like this” ads needlessly?
While I doubt the viral rage that is forming now will do much of anything to bring Ruby back, it does bring to the forefront of our minds how we are still being targeted to buy X product to feel better about ourselves.
I say ROCK ON Body Shop.
ROCK ON Dove and your “real beauty” campaign.
Standing up for me makes me want to support you. Genius.

post signature

Comments

1. Trisha @ 3 Four and Under says:

I totally agree! I love that companies are trying to help us with our self esteem and realize that not everyone is a size 0. Maybe Mattel should listen and actually make a doll that looks like a REAL woman!

2. Erin says:

I love Dove's real beauty campaign. I wish that campaigns would include more "healthy" women and not the stereotypical supermodel.

3. Kassi @ Truly Lovely says:

WOW! I had never even heard of this until I saw your facebook status on it! Glad it's being brought up!

4. Cherie says:

Nina! Rock on and tell them that real women are here and are staying!

5. Courtney @ Cooking Up A Family says:

I think barbies are disgustinging and hate my daughter will see them in her life and get a view of what a body should not be, it's unhealthy and unreal BUT on the other side I also want her to understand to love her body at a size that is healthy. So the two can both cause issues and it's an on going battle.

6. gin says:

I think Ruby is beautiful and I think it's a shame that Mattel found it necessary to order them to cease and desist. Ugh. Just perpetuating a false sense of beauty to the American public.

7. Heather :: AFD Jewelry :: says:

I can't believe that this amazing campaign was banned – it makes me really sad! I now want to go andbuy something from The Body Shop!

8. Jessabells says:

Damn, cant' believe I'm just seeing this now. I love visiting your blog because you show that you don't have to be skinny to be stylish! Totally inspiring! Thanks for being real!

Jessica

9. youwannawhat says:

I agree that the Dove campaign is awesome…but Dove is owned by Unilever who owns Axe. yikes…hypocrisy