Celtic Knot Necklace {Tutorial}

I’m totally on a necklace kick. Now that I’ve decided to actually accessorize rather than just slap something on, I realized that my jewelry collection leaves something to be desired.

And as much as I love me some Charming Charlie, I can’t afford to buy all the lovelies they have. Especially since I’m on a nautical kick right now, I figured it would easily lend itself to a killer creative piece!

Celtic Knot Necklace
Materials

Cotton rope/cord
Jewelry chain link
Scissors
Matching Thread
Needle

Cut a looooooong piece of rope. Err on the side of ridiculously long rather than too short. How tightly you tie your knot and how long your chain is will determine how much rope you need, so there’s no real measurement.

Tie your Celtic Triangle knot in the middle of your length of rope. I highly recommend watching the video a time or two before trying it.

I promise this is not as hard as it looks!

Feed the ends of the rope through your chain. The ends of the chain should be at each side of the knot so the top does not need to be connected.

There you have it! A little tough, a little sweet, and a whole lot of awesomeness!

Tie rope together at top when they meet. I burned the edges of mine to prevent fraying while finishing it off, but totally not necessary.

Put a few stiches through the knot to secure it.
Pinch ends together and secure with a few stitches.

Wrap thread around the ends and snip ends.
A little tough. A little sweet. 100% nautical awesomeness!

Tip Junkie handmade projects
post signature

Comments

1. Chrissy @ Boerman Ramblings says:

totally awesome or as you girl say so absorbs!!!

2. Ashley says:

SO Cute!! I might just have to make me one of those!!

3. Amber says:

Very cool!

4. Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims says:

This is beautiful! great job :)

5. Whitney says:

Ummmm you are ridiculously talented. Love the necklace!

6. Jessica says:

I love all things nautical, stripes, rope, sail boats, anchors…! I will definitely be trying my hand at this. I just discovered you (and Little Miss Momma) and I just can't get enough! You are so creative!!

7. I'm Rachel. says:

Bookmarking this! What a great necklace. I love statement pieces and this one says a lot! Thanks for sharing!

• Donna "Doris" says:

I love making knots. Sometimes I have six different projects going at once. I drive my hubby bananas. He used to be in the Navy and I also was in the Navy when we met. Maybe that is why I love doing nautical knots. Sometimes I think I was born on a boat. Several years ago I went on a Whale Watch boat in Maine and loved every minute. My husband also knows how to do the “Real Macrame” knots. He has made 40-foot long fringed hanging for on ships. I have one that is about ten feet long. It is a lot of knots, but that is where the history comes from with macrame knots. The sailors had alot of time to themselves while out at sea and they did this to keep themselves busy. I hope this is not too boring for younger people. Have lots of fun with the knots. I have done Josephine Knots for special gifts for my friends in rattail cord which is actually very hard because it is slippery. Rope is much easier.
      Thanks for your tutorial and sharing.

8. Lindsay says:

This is amazing. Seriously looks like it came from an anthro catalog!

9. Becca says:

so cool, I may have to try this one!!

10. Jayna Rae says:

What an awesome little piece. Thanks for sharing.

11. mstalcup says:

Love this one! You did such a good job! Yep, pretty awesome!

12. southernscraps says:

Awesome piece!

13. The Beading Gem says:

It's a fantastic idea to marry chain with knotting! Love it. I would love to feature and link to this tutorial so others can come visit, okay? Pearl

14. D & A says:

This is super cute! This is going on my list of crafts to do =) Thanks for sharing

15. Maria-Isabel @ Agape Love Designs says:

oh wow, you are amazing girly! Seriously, this is awesome! I cant believe how gorgeous it is. Not to mention completely creative and unique. Wow, I love it! I also love the two textures of the rope and chain.. perfectly nautical!

16. Cherie says:

That is too cute!

17. Katie says:

Saw this on pinterest! ADORABLE! You did a great job! :)

18. Lizzi says:

Totally awesome (I agree.) I'm gonna try my hand at this!

19. Karri says:

Love it! So cool!

20. Tawnya Calvillo says:

adorable Nina! i love it.

21. Maridith @ Strictly Homemade says:

Amazing!! I love this. You are right that accessorize really help jazz up the mommy outfits!! Great job. I am going to have to watch that celtic knot video to see if I can really make one of these, because I know my MIL would LOVE this for Mother's Day.

Thanks for the inspiration.

22. Michelle says:

Very pretty! I am visiting from TT&J and new follower!!!
    Michelle
    p.s. I am having a giveaway this weekend, you should come check it out!

23. Lolly Jane says:

I loooove this! Looks great with your outfit too ;) We would ♥ for you to show this off at our link party!

Lolly Jane
    lollyjaneboutique.blogspot.com

24. donatella says:

Love TIAT!! I made a shirt with this knot!!! necklace looks gorgeous, i like the chain and the rope mix!

25. Sweet Floweret says:

Made my own version of a rope necklace! I refer to yours on my post. Great job. Check mine out!
    Tina

26. Amy says:

Totally cute! Is there any way you can tell me where you got your chain for this necklace? I have been looking ALL OVER for a chain like that and cannot find one anywhere! Thanks! Love your blog! I am a new follower and I have told others about it as well!
    -Amy

27. Elle says:

Love this and want to make it, but I can’t find the chain or anything similar. Any ideas on where to find that chain? Is it discontinued?

28. Jenny says:

so cute! Thanks for the tutorial; I can’t wait to try it!

29. Kathleen says:

Thank you for the video….I think I would have to watch it a few times before getting it right! I will definitely try! :)

30. Roberta says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial!You are great!

31. Michelle L. says:

What a beautiful look! Completely love it, and thanks for such a fun tutorial!

32. Emma Kesner says:

I LOVE this. Definitely going to try it! Thanks. :)

33. SASmith (@web_shopaholic) says:

This is a super sexy necklace! I love it! I enrolled in Dragonfly Design’s (http://www.jewelrybydfly.com) jewelry making class and I learned so much! Now I can follow and Fashion/Accessories DIY Blogs with ease and confidence a I pull it off easily!

34. Donna Day says:

Is there any way I can get written instructions for the Celtic Knot Necklace on the knot with some pictures also. I have several people that can’t see very well and words are a big help to them sometimes more than the pictures. Please send me an e-mail if you can or where I could buy the book and the name of it. Thanks

35. I am now not certain where you’re getting your info, however great topic. I needs to spend a while finding out more or working out more. Thank you for wonderful info I was on the lookout for this info for my mission.

36. I think this is one of the most significant information for me.
    And i’m glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general things, The website style is ideal, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

37. wrist bands says:

Hi there, i read your blog from time to time and
    i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a lot of spam comments?
    If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can suggest?

I get so much lately it’s driving me mad so any assistance is very much appreciated.

38. You – Tube views area unit typically created foor any
    video theme whetherr or not oor not it is a fun video orr different amusement video.
    This loook inside sshows iewers exactly what to
    expect and will increase conversions. Through online video streaming
    sites, they can just upload their videos forr
    frree and gain more customers.

39. darlene says:

It says, I believe that you have written instructions for this necklace. I was wondering if you could send it to me. I am not very good with visual instructions….memory is not good………..tk u , d

Trackbacks

1. [...] friends a little too in sync I spy the necklaces of a crafty momma trying to save a buck!  Celtic Knot Necklace and Pleated Bead Nautical Necklace I spy well loved, over-worn toys bracelets. I spy a ring for [...]

2. [...] Net Bag 2. Celtic Knot Necklace 3. Crochet Bow Headband 4. Pearl Collar 5. Neon Satchel 6. Spike Hair Comb 7. Studded Ballet [...]

3. [...] I've long been amazed by macrame.  It's incredible what you can do with just a piece of string!  Taking advantage of the simple-yet-complex look of a knot called the Celtic Triangle Knot, Nina from Momma Go Round fashioned some lightweight cotton rope into a necklace with a decidedly nautical vibe.  I love the look of the loose ends of the rope woven through the chain; it's such an easy process that makes a huge impact!  [how to make a Celtic knot necklace] [...]

4. [...] >> Le tuto complet sur le blog de Momma go round [...]

5. [...] some chain for a specific project that I’ve been meaning to try for months.  It is this Celtic Knot Necklace.  It’s been making the rounds on Pinterest so you may have seen it.  And I’ve been [...]

6. [...] DIY Celtic Knot Necklace by Momma Go Round [...]

7. [...] Make mom pretty resin earrings @ Grey Luster Girl Or make a  Celtic Knot Necklace @ Mommy Go Round Give mom a  Glass Gem Necklace @ Madigan Made Or make her a Ruffled Pouch @ [...]

8. [...] Celtic knot necklace to throw over your T-shirt or camisole. Follow the instructions available at Momma Go Round (complete with a helpful video!) and you’ll wind up with your own personal, one-of-a-kind [...]

9. [...] Momma Go Round - Celtic Knot Necklace [...]