Tutorial: Flutter Flower Shirt

I am OBSESSED with this shirt. I saw one like this in JCrew last year and it was a small fortune for a t-shirt…let’s get real.

So now, you can make your own JCrew knock-off
Flutter Flower Shirt.

It’s super simple and requires hardly an materials!
Time to get fluttering!

Two matching t-shirts
Matching thread
Scissors
Needle

Cut 1 shirt apart into front and back. Cut strips from one side of shirt. Vary widths of strips from 1″ inch to 1.5″ inches.

Fold each strip in half along the length of the strip to make the width smaller.
Cut each long strip into smaller pieces about 1″ inch long.

Cut small strips into B shapes.

Open Bs to expose petals.

Stack open Bs with centers on top of each other. Vary how the Bs are stacked to create texture.

Sew a straight gathering stitch through both open Bs down the center of the top open B.

Pull thread to gather Bs.

Pinch the underside of your now stitched together flower.

Stitch back and forth through the pinch to stabilize the gather.

Repeat to make all your flowers. My shirt has 20 flutter flowers of varying sizes.

Once you have all your flowers, hand stitch them on to your second shirt. Overlap some to create the full look.

WARNING: Hand wash and lay flat to dry. It takes FOR-EV-ER to unwrinkle and iron out each petal if you use the washer and dryer…..not like that happened to me or anything!

Don’t forget to stop by on Friday for our T-Shirt Linky Party! Link up your great t-shirt ideas and get inspired!
Photobucket

Comments

1. lilhoek says:

Oh my goodness! This will be my weekend project. I made the flower headband this past weekend and love love love it. I made it out of one of my 18MO's stained t-shirts and it is so special because it is from one of his items :)

I think I will pick a contrasting color for my flowers so I don't have to go buy anything new. Yeah for a fun easy project! And great tutorials (I couldn't craft my way out of a paper bag!)

2. Becky says:

so so cute!!!

3. Brittany@Love Stitched says:

These tshirt tuts keep getting better and better :) thank so much for sharing :) LOVE IT!

4. Ann @ makethebestofthings says:

Wonderful project, it came out great. Love the flutter flowers.

5. HILLARY says:

I love it! Thanks for the cute idea!
    PS I'm your newest follower!

6. Bonnie says:

I LOVE this one!

7. Anonymous says:

I want to see what it looks like wearing it!

8. Linds says:

that is SO cute! Too bad I don't have the patience to do something like that… LOL!

9. too Blessed to Stress says:

ohlala! I love the ruffly flowers. So sweet!

~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

10. Laura @ The Things I Said I'd Never Do says:

Ugh! You are so talented and I am so jealous of your talent. Have you considered starting and etsy store?

11. Kimberly says:

wow you are crafty! I love it! So pretty! I don't know if I could do that! But it looks amazing! ~Kimberly

12. Simplegirl says:

Thanks for sharing, great idea. I'm your new follower from Follow me wed. Hope to see you at http://inspirationsbyd.blogspot.com

13. LETO says:

new follower. wow you are great with the sewing. i wish i was creative like that!

14. Lolo @ Crazy About My Baybah says:

Wow!! Love this tutorial thanks! New follower:)
    Lolo

15. Mommy2Four says:

So cute!

16. Lissa Lou says:

Oh, I just found your blog thinks to {Follow Me Wednesday} and I am in love with this tee… I am a tee shirt junkie so this is right up my alley and will be my next weekend project! Thanks for sharing such a neat idea.

Take care,
    Lissa lou

17. Salıncakta iki Kişi says:

thanks for leaving a comment on my blog to thank me. I thank you for letting me share this great idea with my readers.

~banu

18. Moe says:

So cute! yellow is so vibrant I love it!

So glad I popped by from Night Owl Crafting!

19. Meredith says:

Love it but..hand wash and lay flat a t-shirt? I don't know if I can do that!! I have several I hang to dry so maybe I could get away with a lingerie bag or something?

20. Mrs. H says:

love love love this shirt (and the fact that it's a jcrew knock off for a fraction of the cost)!

21. Cindy says:

Nina, What a sweet little t-shirt! you have made it look wonderful!
    Thaks for the tutorial.
    Hugs, Cindy S

22. Roo @ nicegirlnotes says:

Digging this! Is it nerdy that I want to make matching shirts for me and my daughters? (Answer: Yes.)

23. Alycia (Crowley Party) says:

YOU ARE AMAZING!

24. Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy says:

I Love this! It turned out so pretty~ I'd love it if you'd link up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's (still going on today!) http://imtopsyturvy.com

25. Robin says:

The book pages are adorable. This is a truly great way to recycle (or upcycle as I like to call it.) I love it and would love to see you post this at my linky party Upcycled Awesome!
    http://tinyurl.com/Upcycled9 and come back to my blog for Stashbusting-September. I promise it will be worth your while!

26. MessyMissy says:

Wow, great tutorial….thanks so much!! I am looking forward to giving it a try!!

27. Şinez says:

süperr. Pc: Turkey :) )

28. billiemonster says:

awesome. AWESOME!

29. southernscraps says:

Love it, great job with this!

30. Nicole @ BugaBoos says:

I LOVE this one, I'm so into yellow right now. This is Awesome!!

31. - Brittany says:

Nina,

these shirts are so popular and so adorable. thanks for the tutorial. Can't wait to make my own soon.

Brittany

32. Julie says:

I love this and I'm featuring it today for Featured Flower Friday @ Singing Three Little Birds!

33. Terrell says:

I have GOT to make me one of these!! I'm happy to be your newest follower and would love to have you as a friend at FFD! I'm having a link party/giveaway each Friday and would like to invite you to link up! Hope to see you there!
    ~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

34. Allison says:

Absolutely fabulous==love it! I have made several of the tutorials for ruffled tshirts over at Tea Rose Home–I like yours so much I am definitely going to try it!

35. Alida L. says:

Gorgeous! The color is beautiful.

36. KJ@letsgoflyakite says:

This is gorgeous. I found you via Weekend WrapUp and so glad I did.

37. Jingle says:

stunning yellow,
    what a fabulous post.

38. Leslie says:

this is so beautiful…i love it. the color is awesome and the instructions look easy to follow….thanks for sharing

39. Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming says:

Very pretty! Love the yellow! Great tutorial – thanks for sharing! Hope you are enjoying your weekend! ~ Stephanie Lynn

40. Karen says:

Love what you did to the shirt. It certainly made it something special.

41. rayndrop says:

just so you know…i'm saving this one, so that one day i can give it a go! (i came from funky junk interiors.)

42. Sassy Sites! says:

LOVE IT!!!

…visiting from Sassy Sites! I'm a new follower! Come by and say HI! I love your blog! It's such a SASSY site! :)

43. Kristen says:

I can't believe you made that! Beautiful!!! Thanks for the great tutorial, I may have to give this a try!

44. Lizzi says:

Lol this is pret-ty much awesome :-) I love putting flowers on just about everything!

45. Larissa says:

CUTE. Came from Girl Creative. I love it. I want to make one, I really need to grab two tshirts next time I am at the store.

I would love it if you stopped by my blog sometime. I need to look around your great blog a little more now too.

Just Another Day in Paradise

46. More Than "Just Mom" says:

love this! I just made one after seeing yours:

47. Leslie says:

I seriously am in LOVE with this shirt! I need one ASAP! I love everything about it from the color to the adorable flowers! Thanks for linking up to Hoo's got talent!

48. Brooke says:

So cute! I think it looks amazing! Thanks for sharing your project and how to make it. I will be linking to your great shirt.
    Brooke
    thecraftcave.blogspot.com

49. Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas says:

Oh, I love it!
    It really came out nice!
    Thank you for sharing!
    Leticia

50. Melissa says:

I don't what I like more the gorgeous shade of yellow or the flowers. They work so well together.

51. Misty says:

Gorgeous! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

52. Courtney says:

adorable! i am going to have to "attempt" to make this

funny about the laying flat rule!

53. Victoria says:

I'm so glad I found your blog! This t-shirt looks great! You would never think it was DIY!! :) I'm definitely going to try this one!

54. Kelleigh @ Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs says:

Just gorgeous! I'm totally inspired!

55. Crystal says:

Love!!! Next time I see tees on sale at Target or Old Navy I am so doing this!

56. Elizabeth says:

i absolutely LOVE this idea! I was looking for some t-shirt inspiration when i came across your post, now i'm your newest follower! =]

57. sommerhowey says:

Love this. Thank you. I am going to be making these flowers and put them on a headband. I am your newest follower!

58. Ashlee @ I'm Topsy Turvy says:

I love this transformation. I am totally going to do this when I get back home! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!

59. Chelsea says:

I linked to you in one of my posts, http://craftersanonymousclub.blogspot.com/2010/09/t-shirt-makeover.html
    I love the shirt! So cute! Thanks for the tute!

60. Stephanie says:

I've add this to my post at http://www.thingswevediscovered.blogspot.com Love to share with my friends the great things I find….THANK YOU. Love this shirt and can't wait to make one for myself.

61. melonbelly says:

I could not be more thrilled to be your newest follower! I can't wait to try it. Do you think it would look bad if I tried a different color for the flowers? Like…maybe pink flowers on a grey t??

62. Sagar says:

The t-shirt industry is ever so competitive and offering its buyers a vast variety of designs, fabrics and styles of t-shirts to beat the cut throat competition. Cool T-Shirts

63. Sarah says:

I'm posting about a variety of t-shirt ruffle tutorials today on my blog and mentioned yours with a link back- hope that's okay!

64. Sagar says:

A T-shirt is donned for its sheer comfort, life and hassle free maintenance. Overall 70 percent of men and 54 percent of women have more than 10 t-shirts.Designer T-Shirts

65. Allison says:

Love this! Definitely on my list of "to do" projects :)

66. PeaceLoveApplesauce says:

So, so cute!!

67. Amanda says:

What a great knock off! I’ve featured this post on Copy Cat Crafts today, you can view it here

We’d love it if you’d like to display a featured button! You can grab your button on the right hand side of your post. Thanks!

68. I just wanted to thank you so much for this…I posted it on pinterest..then I made one myself and linked your blog to mine…come and check it out http://tripletasking.com/2012/01/21/flutterby-shirt/ Thanks again..this idea was great!!

69. Makioba says:

this is so cool…. i make this and attach it to the dresses i make…..

70. Ashley says:

omg so love this! must give this a try, looks terrific!

71. Elena says:

So fine! Very much it is pleasant!!!

72. Ashley Gaspard says:

First of all, thank you for posting this!! I made the shirt over the weekend by following your tutorial and it turned out perfect. It was time consuming, but well worth the effort for the end result.

73. I love yellow,and I have many yellow clothes,I think this T-shirt is really nice and suitable for me,I will learn to do one for myself!

74. Hi there to all, how is everything, I think every one is getting more from this
    website, and your views are pleasant designed for new viewers.

75. Leonie says:

Awesome! This is the irst time I have seen your site. I’m hooked! Keep up the good work. Leonie.

Trackbacks

1. [...] LINK: Momma Go Round: Tutorial: Flutter Flower Shirt. [...]

2. [...] camisetas da mesma cor são necessárias para dar um tapa no visual. Passo a passo aqui. Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. This entry was posted in Craft and tagged camiseta [...]

3. [...] LOVE this look on shirts. I never knew that it was sooo easy to do. I found a really good tutorial. HERE Have fun!! Started with a tshirt got from thrift store for 25 cents Old shirt I wore when I was [...]

4. [...] by beyeler   |   2. Ivory Epoch slurry-churned terracotta pot from Anthropologie.   |   3. DIY ruffle tee created and explained by Nina of Momma Go Round   |   4. Trees clothed in yarn, “Seattle [...]

5. [...] tutorials including my newest tutorial on How To Photograph Sun Flare, and my all-time most popular Flutter Flower Shirt. Thanks so much for having me today Kassi and [...]

6. [...] two matching t-shirts, matching thread, scissors and a needle Nina shows you how to make a basic Tee bloom with texture and [...]

7. [...] and easy to follow steps. If you want to make your own and stick it to the JCrew man, visit Momma Go Round for this tutorial. Xoxo, Jenna Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this [...]

8. [...] A unique way of turning unisex sporty T-shirts into a feminine summer top. You can try It in the same color or a contrasting one. Look for the full tutorial at http://www.mommagoround.com/2010/08/tutorial-flutter-flower-shirt.html [...]

9. [...] with a 2 year old, my weight loss journey, recipes, things I love, and of course crafts! Flutter Flower Shirt Tutorial Composition Book Cover Tutorial Today I would like to share with you my latest [...]

10. [...] Flutter Flower Shirt from Momma Go Round [...]

11. [...] Add fabric flowers, bows, or ruffles to your t-shirts, tank tops, and blouses (flowers, large ruffle, ruffles1, ruffles2, tulle flower, add [...]

12. [...] Tee – This would be great for covering a stain on the front or shoulder of your shirt. This tutorial says you need two tees in the same color, but I think contrasting colors would look really cute, [...]

13. [...] Heart T-shirt from Handmadera // DIY Bow Back T-shirt from College Fashion // Flutter Flower Shirt from Momma Go Round // Splatter Bleach T-Shirt Makeover from Homemade [...]