Tutorial: No Sew Ribbon Pacifier Clip

LJ is addicted to his binkie. He sleeps with it, walks around with it, plays with it, would have it all the time if I let him.
We don’t leave the house without a binkie.

For this reason, I have purchased many of these…
What has killed me about buying these binkie clips is that while they have saved me from loosing hundreds of binkies, they are expensive themselves.
$8 for some ribbon, velcro, and a clip….really?
With many friends and my sister-in-law expecting, I have come to the conclusion that I can make binkie clips just as wonderful as the horridly overpriced ones in the store. Even better, I can customize them to what my friends like, an outfit they have, and embellish them all I want.
One problem, I don’t sew.
I have claimed that I do. Many moons ago I did (with uber fabulous guidance from my Grammy).
But ask me to do more than a straight line (assuming I had a sewing machine) now, and it would be scary.
So…..what to do?
Well, here it is folks! The answer to your “I can’t sew but I want to make it” dilemma (at least for pacifier clips)
 No Sew Ribbon Pacifier Clip Tutorial
Supplies
Grosgrain Ribbon
Scissors
Velcro
Fray Block
Steam a Seam/Stitch Witchery
Suspender Clip
Iron
Pencil (I show a pen, trust me, it’s stupid idea)

Step 1: Cut your ribbon to 9 inches in length (remember, this could be a choking hazard if cut too long)
Step 2: Apply Fray Block to the ends of the ribbon. Let dry.
Step 3: Cut small rectangle of velcro while the two sides are attached.
Step 4: Cut a small square of Steam a Seam and adhere it to the velcro. I cut mine big so it would cover the whole velcro, then I trimmed  it.

Step 5: Iron the velcro on. DO NOT iron directly on the velcro. Flip the ribbon over so you iron the ribbon to the back of the velcro. The two sides of the velcro should be 1/2 inch apart. If you use the “soothie” binkies, place them an inch or so apart since it is a thicker pacifier.
Step 6: At the opposite end, fold over a 1/2 inch section of the ribbon and iron in a crease.

Step 7: Slip suspender clip onto end of ribbon and position inside the crease.
Step 8: Cut a small rectangle of Steam a Seam and adhere it to the end of the ribbon. Make sure it is short enough to not be touching the clip.

Step 9: Iron the fold over shut so the clip is securely inside.

There you have it! Easy as pie and not a single stitch involved :)

Now go to town. Embellish away. Just make sure nothing can come off into a little one’s mouth (a stitch might be required here).
So girlfriends beware, you will probably all be receiving these. But if your kid is anything like mine, you will need ‘em.

Comments

1. Emily says:

how much did supplies cost you?

2. Nina @Your Memories Captured says:

I did a terrible job of keeping track, especially since I already had some of it. The ribbon was $3 for the whole spool, the clips I got off Etsy (10 clips for $6.50 shipped), I had the steam a seam, but I don't think it was much, and the fray block was $3 I think. I have soooo much left over that it will make a ton more clips!

3. Love Stitched says:

You did a great job Nina!!! Love it! I will have to make one for my next baby shower I am invited too :)

4. Amy @ Raising Arrows says:

Ooo! Keeping this one tucked away just in case this next baby is a pacifier baby!

5. crunchynurse says:

I think I would still want to sew the end that holds the clip in place, just in case the Steam a Seam came loose. Cool idea though.

6. Jessica says:

Great idea….I sew mine – but instead of ordering the clips – I use the clips that you use to hold mittens on coats – these can be characters and I've gotten them on sale for 4/$1.00! :)

7. Kelley says:

Fabulous! I am all for fast and easy…and if I can get around sewing..all the better!

Have a great week!

8. Nina @Your Memories Captured says:

Thanks Kelley, I feel the same way! Sewing machines and I aren't exactly friends.

Thanks for stopping by!

9. Julia says:

An amazing idea – this sounds like something you could sell on Etsy.

10. Cathie says:

Very cute, and a good job! Good idea to use the fusible product. When my girls were babies, I simply used a diaper pin to pin a ribbon looped through the pacifier to the shirt or bib. Diaper pins won't open easily. Do they still sell diaper pins?

11. Nina @Your Memories Captured says:

Thanks Julia and Cathie! They were really fun to make and I have tons of friends that are going to get them!

Cathie, I have no idea if they still sell them, though that is a great idea! You were ahead of the trend :)

12. Ashley @ Little Miss Momma says:

The new blog layout rocks to infinity and beyond–seriously I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! You are so uber talented! Send this tutorial to oneprettything.com NOW!

13. Lindsay {Designer Wife} says:

Hi there!! Just stopping by to wish you a Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest :)

This DIY is absolutely adorable – passing it along to my mommy friends!

Have a great weekend,
    Linds

14. Jensamom23 says:

Great idea! Thanks for sharing. I found your through Tatertots and Jello. Fun site, you have!

15. Sarah says:

These are so cute! Great idea for gifts, for sure. Thanks for sharing!

16. Madigan at madiganmade says:

Super cute and simple idea!

17. Steve and Steph says:

look how crafty you are!!! You are amazing! I love your blog and those binkies look super cute and super easy!

18. Krista Marie says:

Love the idea! I actually made a couple of binky clips before my little one was born but she ended up liking those green pacifiers they give you in the hospital (I think you're little one has one in the picture) How do you get the binky clip to work with that paci since it doesn't have the traditional handle, just those two little holes?
    Thanks!

19. Nina @ Momma Go Round says:

Hi Krista,
    I hope you see this! I tried to comment on your blog but some Twitter pop up kept blocking the comment box.

I just stuff the ribbon through the little hole. You can either do it before the velcro is attached and just iron it on w/o burning the binkie, or try to shove it through after.

Hope that helps!

20. Krista Marie says:

That does help..thanks! I should have waited to add the velcro..I'll just have to redo it. And thanks for telling me about that comment thing! I didn't even realize it was showing up like that..no wonder I would have tons of traffic and no comments. Ha!

21. - Kim says:

Great idea. I need to make a couple of these for my Niece and Nephew.
    My kids were never paci kids. ;)

22. Anonymous says:

Amiable fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

23. Anonymous says:

I always inspired by you, your opinion and way of thinking, again, thanks for this nice post.

- Norman

24. Kelly @livingcraftilyeverafter says:

I just saw this and I am so stinking happy! My baby will only take those soothie paci's and I hate that the are always falling on the floor!! I am totally going to make one of these now! Thanks!

And I am your newest follower! :)

Kelly

25. Audrey Riley says:

I ve heard that instead of using fray block,you can use a lighter and run the flame across the ends of the ribbon to seal them.I haven’t tried it yet so I don’t know how well it works.I love the idea of no sew paci clips :)

26. Jenni says:

With the ribbon, How wide is it?

Trackbacks

1. [...] lost my camera downloading cord–curses….but I found a tutorial for it.  Click Here to find out how you can make your own.  If you already have ribbon–you can make them 4/$1. [...]